Suzette Haden Elgin

Margaret Ball margaret at onr.com
Sat Feb 8 22:24:21 EST 2003

>Native Tongue is great. I actually have a copy of Elgin's grammar of
>Laadan (? is that the language's name? Er, it's been a while), even though
>I know I'll never bloody get around to learning it. I read the sequel, The
>Judas Rose, & thought it was good but not as good, & didn't bother to read
>the third one because I've heard so many times how awful it is. Have you
>read it?

Earthsong?  I did read it, and....I wouldn't say it was awful, but I
didn't enjoy it as much as the Judas Rose, and I didn't think THAT was
as good as Native Tongue. Sort of a downward curve. Or maybe it was just
that by the third volume I felt she was beating me over the head with
the Whort-Sapir hypothesis.

Speaking of Elgin, has anybody else read her Ozark books?

--
Margaret Ball
http://www.flameweaver.com