Actually Garth Nix now (was Re: tad williams (was Re: : fantasy monarchies))

christian nutt ferricide at hotmail.com
Sat Feb 8 22:10:38 EST 2003

>Anyway, the rest of them hated it, and couldn't discuss it on a decent
>intellectual level. It was really the beginning of the end. We never dared
>suggest DWJ for fear of what might happen.

i was in a really strange reading group for a period of several months.
everyone in the group had different tastes, so the books we read were pretty
disparate:

cat's cradle by vonnegut
the left hand of darkness by ursula k. le guin
alias grace by margaret atwood
enchantment by orson scott card
norwegian wood by haruki murakami (this was my selection -- i debated DWJ
but decided against it)

anyway, the discussions were weird. we all liked cat's cradle. no one really
talked much about the le guin (i liked it -- it's the only thing i've read
by her.) alias grace was split between complete silence or enthusiastic
discussion... half of the group loved enchantment and half of it loathed it
(i belong to the latter section.) norwegian wood was not the hit i'd hoped
(even the other person on the list familiar with murakami was lukewarm about
it). the list split up sometime shortly after that.

(i keep referring to it as a list as it was run as an ML, but it was all
people who knew each other IRL -- we'd just mostly moved since we were
teenagers.)

it was an interesting experience but sort of disappointing and taxing as
well.

christian.