The Undying

Paul Andinach pandinac at ucc.gu.uwa.edu.au
Sat Feb 8 22:00:41 EST 2003

On Fri, 7 Feb 2003, Kathryn Andersen wrote:

> Thinking about Cart & Cwidder (and indeed Dalemark) reminded me of
> something that's been niggling at me recently -- the Undying. What
> *are* they, really?  They start of just normal human beings, and
> become demi-gods and some are even more godlike than that.

*Some* of them start off just normal human beings. It's not clear
that, for instance, the One was ever human.

> There seems to be a correlation, in fact, between the godlikeness
> and whether or not images have been made of them; though is it
> images, or the worship of the images that does it?

I think that worship comes first, then the image. The Undying become
godlike because people treat them as gods; and gods are more likely to
have images made of them. If you see what I mean.

> And it also seems that, while only those decended from Undying can
> become Undying, it isn't automatic; not all children of Undying
> become Undying themselves.  What makes it happen to some and not
> others? I was about to propose that it had something to do with
> becoming famous, but that doesn't fit, because *all* of the
> children in The Spellcoats became famous, but not all of them
> became Undying.

Maybe it matters what they were famous *for*. The two that we know
were Undying were famous sorcerors; the one we know wasn't Undying was
only a famous king.

Paul
--
"Hold fast to the one noble thing."