Rude drivers (was Re: tad williams (was Re: : fantasy monarchies))

Sat Feb 8 21:41:39 EST 2003

On Sun, 09 Feb 2003 00:42:23 +0000, christian nutt wrote:

>>From: Melissa Proffitt >I don't see what this has to do with anything.  I'm
>>not saying that oblivium
>>makes you not responsible, just that it doesn't have to be an aggressive
>>act.  That, to me, is what makes someone's actions rude: to know you're
>>doing harm, and not to care.
>
>so what's your take on people who stop in doorways, in front of stairs and
>escalators, etc? that's one of my biggest pet peeves and one of the most
>prevalent forms of pure rudeness these days -- people get immediately
>outside of a doorway and having left it behind pause to do whatever they
>were intent upon, blocking the egress to anyone behind them. this happens a
>*lot*.

Grrr. I really really hate that.  I especially hate it in stores when people
stop to consider the merchandise, but leave their carts parked in the middle
of the aisle.  That makes me SO annoyed.

Unfortunately, I know I've done the same thing before.  I'm intent on
something else and I totally forget where I am, or where my basket is, or so
forth.  So I give people the benefit of the doubt.  Most of the time I find
people are very apologetic about blocking doorways, hallways, etc. and move
immediately.  It's when they get all snotty about how THEY were there first
and couldn't I, maybe, shrink so I can fit between the crack in the doors
they left there? that I think it's truly rude behavior.  But as I said in my
other reply, I'm more concerned about deciding how angry I should get than
in passing judgement.  Somehow--and probably this is bad--I feel more
justified in reacting more harshly if I think the person deserves it more.

>one time i was in a crowded hotel -- during an anime convention -- and a
>family (mother, father, and at least two adolescent children) had stopped to
>hold a pow-wow in the vestibule between two sets of sliding glass doors. i
>got so mad i actually told them off.

Wish I could have seen it.  :)  That sort of behavior really is quite rude
because you HAVE to know that people will want to get past you.  How many
passersby have to trip over your legs before you figure out that you're
being inconsiderate?

>oftentimes this behavior can be chalked up to obliviousness but isn't even
>that a form of rudeness in that people are ignoring the fact that they might
>be affecting others and choose not to pay attention to the situation --
>self-centered-ness, is i guess how i'd put it. if people act as if they're
>the only ones in the world.

I agree that it's wrong.  I just don't call it rudeness.  Difference of
definition, probably.  Self-centeredness is still a very nasty word in my
dictionary.

Melissa Proffitt
(how, HOW did we get on this tangent?  And why?  And yes, it's probably all
my fault, but it's like I'm suddenly on this westbound bus with no memory of
getting off the trolley near the candy store)