J. Fitzgerald (was Re: OT Childhood favorites)

M Elizabeth Parks meparks at mtholyoke.edu
Sat Feb 8 21:21:40 EST 2003

The thing I remember most about the Great Brain series was the story about
the young boy who died of diabetes; it's amazing how strongly I remember
this relatively small element of those books.

I think that there are a lot of books that I read repeatedly when I was
younger that I wouldn't have the tolerance or the patience to read
now--especially books in older styles.  At this point far too much of my
reading is either for class or for no point at all, and I have trouble
trying to read class-style books (like Madame Bovary) for fun, despite how
much I enjoy them when I finally read them (like Bronte's _Shirley_, which
I just read and loved soo much more than I thought I possibly could).

Which brings me to one of my favorite childhood authors: Louisa May
Alcott.  I was looking at her books in the library the other day, and
remembering how very many times I had read _An Old Fashioned Girl_ and
_Eight Cousins_.  I loved these books, and I think I can still see the
effect that they had on me.

Another favorite I came across was Margaret Sidney's _Five Little Peppers_
series.  The library I was in the other day happened to have what I think
was the last book in the series, called something along the lines of _Five
Little Peppers Grown Up._  I sat down and read it; at the end, Polly and
Jasper got married, of course ;), and it was still moving to me.

and then of course there's _Daddy Long Legs_, which I think was the reason
I wanted to go to a woman's college. . ..

lizzie