Rude drivers (was Re: tad williams (was Re: : fantasy monarchies))

christian nutt ferricide at hotmail.com
Sat Feb 8 19:42:23 EST 2003

>From: Melissa Proffitt >I don't see what this has to do with anything.  I'm
>not saying that oblivium
>makes you not responsible, just that it doesn't have to be an aggressive
>act.  That, to me, is what makes someone's actions rude: to know you're
>doing harm, and not to care.

so what's your take on people who stop in doorways, in front of stairs and
escalators, etc? that's one of my biggest pet peeves and one of the most
prevalent forms of pure rudeness these days -- people get immediately
outside of a doorway and having left it behind pause to do whatever they
were intent upon, blocking the egress to anyone behind them. this happens a
*lot*.

one time i was in a crowded hotel -- during an anime convention -- and a
family (mother, father, and at least two adolescent children) had stopped to
hold a pow-wow in the vestibule between two sets of sliding glass doors. i
got so mad i actually told them off.

oftentimes this behavior can be chalked up to obliviousness but isn't even
that a form of rudeness in that people are ignoring the fact that they might
be affecting others and choose not to pay attention to the situation --
self-centered-ness, is i guess how i'd put it. if people act as if they're
the only ones in the world.

christian.