Lackey (was; book length)

JOdel at aol.com JOdel at aol.com
Sat Feb 8 18:44:37 EST 2003

> Hm.  Will I get drummed off the list in disgrace if I admit that I *like*
> those digressions about how these people's lives work?

By no means. I think that it is laudable that she actually gives some salute
to the kind of organization tthat goes into, say, supporting an army in the
field in any kind of a decent manner. The recognition of the part that this
kind of detail makes in building anything like a plausible depiction of
living in any non-industrialized society in any kind of comfort is one of
Lackey's very real strengths.

But she goes overboard with the minutia. I think that a book that Lackey has
in her that she is never likely to actually write, is a non-fiction
exploration on the building of a plausible, enlighened non-industrialized
society, exploring some of the alternatives as to whether the society has
magical assistance available, or whether we are dealing with one where magic
is not available to draw upon by humans. Examining the directions that such a
society might run depending upon whether it is secular, or a theocracy. And
how varying theologies or forms of nonmagical technology might affect the
directions that the society and the process of living in that society might
take. I think that it would be an interesting read and probably very
entertaining as well. But she isn't likely to actually ever write it.

(While on the subject of armies, the third Deryni book caught a lot of flack
from my circle from Kurtz having whole armies change sides overnight. Not
just once, but twice!)