OT Childhood favorites

Laurie Puszczewicz lpuszcze at indiana.edu
Sat Feb 8 16:46:42 EST 2003

I had to stick mine in here too, although I am less of a sci-fi/fantasy
reader than most on the list seem to be--but it takes all kinds, right?

1.  L.M. Montgomery books--I see their flaws more now (at least the later
ones), but if you read her journals (which are fascinating) you understand
better why some of her books came out they way they did.  I think the
_Emily_ series (at least the first two) hold up much better than some of
the Annes do, but I still have a nostalgic love for them.  In fact, I've
been lucky enough in the past few years to get a month-long trip to Europe
every summer (benefit of being a language teacher--professional
development can be a great thing at times) and an LMM book always makes it
into the stack of "must-takes."  Plus, my middle name is Anne (with an e)
because of Anne.

2.  Maud Hart Lovelace's _Betsy-Tacy_ series.  Still love these.  Still
think they hold up very well.  Joe Willard was a literary crush of mine
for a while.  On my first trip to Europe I took _Betsy and the Great
World_ with me because that was her first trip to Europe too.

3.  Noel Streatfeild books.  I managed to get copies of the paperbacks
before they went out of print and got outrageously expensive.  I still
need the sequel to _Family Shoes_, which I think is called _New Shoes_ in
the US and undoubtedly something else elsewhere, but most of the rest I
have.  I had delusions of being an ice skater for a while, so I
particularly remember loving _Skating Shoes_, but I also enjoyed the
_Gemma_ books.

4.  The _All of a Kind Family_ series.  I grew up in a very Catholic
family, went to Catholic school, and for years this was my only window
into another religion.  I loved reading about how they would choose all
sorts of candy for a penny.  And how their mother got them to dust by
hiding buttons and pennies for them to find.

5.  Children's mystery series--all kinds, but particularly the Trixie
Belden series.  Soem of these don't hold up well at all, but the first
few--written by Julie Campbell--I still love.  _Gatehouse Mysetry_ is my
all-time favorite. I don't remember liking
Nancy Drew as well.  I also read my mother's old Dana Girls series, the
Bobbsey Twins series, a few of the Susan Sand series...

I get to do Honorable mentions too, right?

--the Ruth Chew witch books.  The _Wednesday Witch was my favorite.
--E.L. Konigsburg's books.
--Gordon Korman's early books--the Bruno & Boots series, _I want to go
home_, _No coins please, etc.  Inteersting, because I rarely read books
where boys were the main characters, but these I loved. I have loathed his
recent ones--anyone else read them?  They just aren't as funny to me, and
I loved their humor.
--The Golden Name Day_.  Anyone else read this one?  I loved the details
about (I think) Swedish customs, and the girl (Nancy?) picking out her
wallpaper. I paid a fair amount for this one EBay and it was worth it.
--The Melendy series. Still love these books.  Every August I go outside
to look for the meteor shower just because they did that in _And Then
There Were Five_.
--The Mrs. Piggle Wiggle books.  The story I remember best is the girl who
got so dirty they planted radish seeds in the dirt on her arms and they
grew.  There's a vivid mental picture for you.
--The Anastasia books by Lois Lowry??  She wrote a few more that I read
when I was older and I didn't like them as much.
--The Little House books by Laura Ingalls Wilder. My favoirte: _The Long
Winter_. Plus my first name is really Laura, after Laura Ingalls.  My
mother is a reader too.
--the Moffat books, by Eleanor Estes.
--the Great Brain books by John D. Fitzgerald. These were supposedly based
pretty heavily on his life.  I recently read his autobiographical book
called _Papa Married a Mormon_.  It had some interesting scenes about the
tensions between Mormons and non-Mormons in Utah back --I'm not sure how
long ago it was.
--Some (but not all) of John Bellairs books.  I still love _The House with
a Clock in its Walls_--still creepy to me.  I also liked _The Dark Secret
of Weatherend_.
--The Pippi Longstocking books.  I loved the one where the three kids
shipwreck themselves.

I think I have exhausted my extra space here, but am I the only one on the
list who read one Narnia book and never wanted to read another?  I can't
remeber why, but after _The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe_ I never
read another.  Can I confess too that I have never read any of the LOTR
trilogy?  Do I forfeit list membership with those revelations? :)

Laurie (off to read article after article on international ICT policies,
rather than any of the above books--sigh.)