on games and ghibli

Tarja Rainio tarja.rainio at welho.com
Sat Feb 8 15:55:54 EST 2003

on 8.2.2003 05:45, Melissa Proffitt at Melissa at Proffitt.com wrote:

> On Sat, 08 Feb 2003 03:19:13 +0000, christian nutt wrote:
>
>>> I (briefly) wrote for an
>>> online game magazine, but my inability to ever finish a game led to my
>>> quitting after only a year.  It was a very casual operation, and I didn't
>>> get paid except in review copies, but that was plenty for me.
>>
>> cool -- do you have any links?
>
> I'll have to go look.  It was a REALLY long time ago, as the gaming world
> goes, and the friends who used to own it sold it about a year ago, and the
> format's changed a lot since then.  (The true reason they had me doing it
> was because they could count on me not to submit reviews that needed
> extensive revision and copyediting.  They also used to send me these really
> weird games originating in Eastern Europe, interesting because you could see
> they were only just getting the hang of the whole computer game thing.)  I
> don't think I did more than five or so.
>
>>> I can't tell you how excited I am about
>>> _Castle in the Sky_ on DVD as well as _Spirited Away_, neither of which
>>> I've
>>> seen.
>>
>> spirited away is great. i saw it once in the theatre, and i need to see it
>> more to drink it all in.. i barely have a more coherent opinion of it than
>> that. i've never seen castle, and i'm really looking forward to it.
>
> I need to remember to mention it to our GM.  He's probably whined the
> loudest about it and I bet he'd spring for the DVD.  And then I could borrow
> it.  This happens a lot--he buys more anime than I do.  :)

I loved both Spirited Away and Laputa (Castle in the Sky). I saw Spirited
Away twice at cinema and immediately after the first viewing ordered the
region 3 (HongKong) dvd of it. I think my nest R3 buy will be My neighbour
(friend?) Totoro (can't remember it's English name at the moment) which I
originally saw several years ago when it was shown on Finnish tv. It's a
really beautiful children's film which adults can enjoy as well. I'm also
really looking forward to Miyazaki's version of Howl's Moving Castle.

Tarja