Gatsby, Anime

Rebecca Ganetzky rganetzk at oberlin.edu
Sat Feb 8 15:42:25 EST 2003

>>From: Rebecca Ganetzky
>>
>>Another very good (but poorly subbed, IMO) anime is Witch-hunter Robin.
>
>so this goes somewhere?
Well, we haven't finished it, mind, and I've been told the ending is
anti-climatic, but it definitely becomes less episodic and less
"Let's go kill a witch.  Okay.  Let's go kill another.  Okay...".  I
also think that it's quite well drawn and has more of a coherent
feeling than a lot of anime.  (I also watched it at about the same
time as Escaflowne, and they balanced well.)
The meta-plot introduced is quite interesting, although it's
developing rather slowly, and we can't get our hands on the end
episodes.  I would recommend sticking with it past the first few
episodes, at least.  Wait until the "Piece of knowledge" plot is
introduced before giving up.
-RDG

>i watched the first three or four episdoes of WHR but i liked it
>decreasingly each one. i felt like it just wasn't even trying to go
>anywhere and had a very episodic flavor.
>
>i figured i'd give it another chance when it came out on DVD in the
>US, since that's inevitable and i much prefer watching DVDs to
>watching files at my PC... but i remained skeptical all the same.
>
>christian.

Rebecca D. Ganetzky
"...and do not say that a thing is impossible to understand, for
eventually it will be understood."-Rabbi Hillel