Actually Garth Nix now (was Re: tad williams (was Re: : fantasy monarchies))

Margaret Ball margaret at onr.com
Sat Feb 8 09:23:31 EST 2003

>I don't suppose any
>of us have exactly matching tastes, but at least on this list we have some
>idea of working out *why* we like or don't like books.

Odd footnote: I have a good friend who is functionally illiterate by my
standards (reads about two fiction books a year, both borrowed off my
shelves, and a lot of that cleanse-your-aura-with-chanting-and-herbs
crap) but very good at analysing books. I can hand her a novel and say
"This has all the elements I usually like in a book and the prose isn't
unwieldy, why don't I like it?" and she can read about three chapters
and put her finger not only on A problem with the book, but with THE
problem that's bothering me.

She should have been an editor.

--
Margaret Ball