Jon Noble jon_p_noble at yahoo.com
Sat Feb 8 04:32:57 EST 2003

--- Sally Odgers <sodgers at tassie.net.au> wrote:

> well I was Absolutely Disgusted with R. Scarry when
> my son was little. He
> bought a little book about a platypus and it was
> *riddled* with errors.
>
> Platypus eggs will *not* be found on the bank of a
> North American river.
> Never.
>
> Platypus eggs could *never* be mistaken for a hen
> egg. They're not even
> egg-shaped and come in sort of stuck-together pairs.
>
> The platypus is *not* the "rarest mammal in the
> world".   It *might* be the
> rarest monotreme, but I don't think it's rarer than
> the echidna, which is
> the other contender...

The echidna is more common than the platypus, indeed
we even get the occasional echidna in semi-suburbia
where I live, but the platypus is certainly not that
rare - I have several friends in diferent parts of NSW
with platypuses (platypi ? - not it must be platypuses
- its greek not latin) living in creeks on their
properties. On the other hand there is a New Guinea
species of Echidna as well - that may be rare.

Jon