Fonts (was Childhood favorites)

HSchinske at aol.com HSchinske at aol.com
Sat Feb 8 00:12:27 EST 2003

In a message dated 2/7/2003 6:33:26 PM Pacific Standard Time,
owner-dwj-digest at suberic.net writes:

> On Fri, 7 Feb 2003 17:15:52 -0600, Ian W. Riddell wrote:
>
> >This book is also the reason I have a small (very small) fixation on
> >fonts: It uses linotype Pilgrim which is, hands down, my favorite
> >serif font.

Anyone else find themselves unable to read certain books because of the
fonts? That happened to me with the Weetzie Bat books, which everyone kept
recommending to me. I could NOT read them at all until they came out in a new
omnibus edition with a "normal" font. (I thought they were very impressive,
but they weren't quite my sort of thing.)

There is a fad for sans-serif books (the Animorph books are in sans-serif),
which drives me buggy, too. I *can* read those, but they make me itch a
little.

By the way, I think _The Long Secret_ is a brilliant book, and in some ways
better than _Harriet_. Can't remember much about the Sport one at all, except
that I was disappointed in it.

I still love Mary Poppins, they haven't gone off for me at all, but I read
_The Railway Children_ to my daughter recently and thought it was vastly
inferior to the magic books. I just couldn't bear all that brave little
mother and brave little Bobby stuff.

ObDWJ: has anyone compared this thread to the books that Tom sent Polly?

Helen Schinske