Actually Garth Nix now (was Re: tad williams (was Re: : fantasy monarchies))

Fri Feb 7 23:19:21 EST 2003

On Fri, 07 Feb 2003 20:42:34 -0700, Robyn Starkey wrote:

>>So that's why it's shorter and tighter. It was originally a YA/children's
>>book.
>
>That must be why my edition has "moonstone" on the front page. I remember
>wondering at the time. Anyway, it is an argument in favour of pushing Nix
>to write more tightly, because it is a much better book; one of the things
>I like about it is that the language is very rich, and you get the
>impression every word is carefully chosen. This came across really strongly
>for me in the talking book version. I am listening to Lirael at the moment,
>and it doesn't have the same linguistic impact (although it has the same
>reader).

I think you're right.  I do love _Lirael_, but it's a lot looser in the
narrative and lacks some of the tension that made _Sabriel_ so good.
Granted that some of that is the difference in the plots; Sabriel gets
thrown into danger immediately, but Lirael takes a while to seek out danger
and throw herself at it.  :)  I didn't realize Nix was being pushed as
anything other than a YA writer; it's certainly where all his books are
shelved in our library.

Have I ever mentioned that I chose _Sabriel_ for my reading group and NONE
OF THEM LIKED IT?!?!  You can see they have some major flaws that I am
trying to correct.

Melissa Proffitt