American Gods (was Re: Book length (was Re: tad williams))

Fri Feb 7 23:14:56 EST 2003

On Fri, 07 Feb 2003 20:47:32 -0700, Robyn Starkey wrote:

>>My point has been that the choice not to read a book should not be conflated
>>with the overall quality of the book.  I'm not going to read _American Gods_
>>because I know there are things in it that would really put me off.  Does
>>that make it a bad book?  Of course not.  But I am, nevertheless, rejecting
>>it.
>
>I think you are wrong to do so. Judging from the kinds of things you say
>about the books you like, I think you probably would really enjoy it.
>
>I'd offer to explain why I think this, but I know god is going to strike me
>down for blaspheming against doctrine (that Melissa is always right), so
>I'll just say goodbye to you all now and wait for the thunderbolt.

KaBLAM!

Seriously, it's not the actual type of story so much as, um, content of a
graphic nature that I would not be able to get past.  I'm fairly certain
that you're right and it's something I would enjoy.  But my husband read it
and loved it and told me flat out that it would be a bad idea for me to read
it.  He has always been right about this in the past.

I promise to be very sad about it though, if it makes you happier.  :)

Melissa Proffitt