Book length (was Re: tad williams)

Denise DeGraf mustang at sonic.net
Fri Feb 7 22:54:51 EST 2003

Melissa Proffitt danced around singing:
>My point has been that the choice not to read a book should not be conflated
>with the overall quality of the book.  I'm not going to read _American Gods_
>because I know there are things in it that would really put me off.  Does
>that make it a bad book?  Of course not.  But I am, nevertheless, rejecting
>it.

Right.  It's really no different than other preferences we have in life --
it's not a judgment about the quality of what we seek out or avoid, just a
measure of how comfortable we are with that specific object/situation.  For
example, I personally dislike anime despite having watched several hundred
hours of "the good stuff" (including just about everything you've
mentioned) but that doesn't mean I think the media form stinks, just that
it's not the one for me.  (This was strengthened greatly by having an
abusive BF for three years that was totally obsessed with anime, hence my
watching so darned much of it in hopes of making him pleasant or at least
finding a way to like it.  Neither happened, though...)

Denise DeGraf ~~ http://www.sonic.net/mustang/moggy
"You're down as expendable.  You don't get a weapon."
    -- Diana Wynne Jones (Dark Lord of Derkholm)