tad williams (was Re: : fantasy monarchies)

Robyn Starkey rohina at shaw.ca
Fri Feb 7 22:42:34 EST 2003

>I believe I can shed light on that. Back in the early 1990s, H/C Australia
>started a series of books called MOONSTONE. SF and fantasy for teenagers and
>older children. Sabriel came out in the first set of these, along with my
>own book Aurora.  I had to cut Aurora to fit the length the editor required,
>and it came in at about 57K. No doubt Garth had to cut Sabriel for the same
>reason.
>
>So that's why it's shorter and tighter. It was originally a YA/children's
>book.

That must be why my edition has "moonstone" on the front page. I remember
wondering at the time. Anyway, it is an argument in favour of pushing Nix
to write more tightly, because it is a much better book; one of the things
I like about it is that the language is very rich, and you get the
impression every word is carefully chosen. This came across really strongly
for me in the talking book version. I am listening to Lirael at the moment,
and it doesn't have the same linguistic impact (although it has the same
reader).

Robyn