Book length (was Re: tad williams)

Robyn Starkey rohina at shaw.ca
Fri Feb 7 22:06:53 EST 2003

This book length thing is really freaking me out. I don't understand how
anyone can make judgements without considering the quality of the story and
the prose. Is Vikram Seth's A Suitable Boy a bad book because it is too
long? I actually think in that case, the length is an integral part of what
makes it a fantastic book. The necessary length of the reading experience
makes the book more engrossing.

This is not to say that there aren't mediocre and bad books that are too
long and could benefit by severe editing (I can think of a series of books
that could successfully have been edited down from 5 long books to 2
medium-length ones - the Blending by Greene); but rejecting a book on
length of pages is as silly as rejecting it because the cover is blue.

Robyn