Ms Kathleen Jennings s368333 at student.uq.edu.au
Fri Feb 7 21:31:59 EST 2003

For myself:

Narnia: Have never been able to be disloyal to them. The Horse and His Boy took me longest to like but is my favourite now (and then The Silver Chair). Scripture Union in Queensland used to run week-long camps for children in grades 5-7 and one of them was Camp Narnia. It was held in winter on a macadamia nut farm in North Maleny (coastal hinterlands) in the farmhouse: twenty children, one book (each camp was based on one volume of the series), boxes and boxes of costumes, songs based on the books, wierd and wonderful food, archery, fencing... I went the three years I could go as a camper and once in year 9 as a junior leader - still some of my happiest memories, surrounded by people who loved Narnia and immersed for a week in a fantastic world.

The Little House Books: My father got sick-and-tired of Little Red Riding Hood so he started reading these, then my mother took over. We read the whole series, more than once, and after that until I went to boarding school in year 11 we would read for an hour or more after dinner - and sometimes after morning tea if we talked fast enough- all sorts of books, from Narnia (my choice) and the Silver Brumby (my sister) to Red Badge of Courage and The Microbe Hunters and Dickens (unabridged). But the Little House books are those that spring to mind when I remember those evenings, and those that most closely resembled my own childhood.

Prydain: Discovered after Narnia, and - unable to be disloyal to Lewis - tied for popularity. These two series were joined by LotR, but I didn't read that until I was fifteen. I still cry at the end of the High King, even though I've read the books innumerable times to myself and out loud to my family and to family friends.

Heidi.

Jane Eyre.

What Katy Did.

The Hundred and One Dalmations.

Then there's the picture-book The Balloon Tree, but I can't remember who wrote it.

It is hard narrowing it down to five. And I wanted to add Ivenhoe and Sir Nigel but I think I read them in year 11.