tad williams (was Re: : fantasy monarchies)

Sally Odgers sodgers at tassie.net.au
Fri Feb 7 21:24:24 EST 2003

> I think you are right about the cutting. One of the things that was so
> magnificent about Sabriel is the integrity of the story. It is just the
> right length, and it is a complete story: you don't expect a sequel. I get
> the impression with Lirael/Abhorsen that it was going to be one book, but

I believe I can shed light on that. Back in the early 1990s, H/C Australia
started a series of books called MOONSTONE. SF and fantasy for teenagers and
older children. Sabriel came out in the first set of these, along with my
own book Aurora.  I had to cut Aurora to fit the length the editor required,
and it came in at about 57K. No doubt Garth had to cut Sabriel for the same
reason.

So that's why it's shorter and tighter. It was originally a YA/children's
book.

Sallyo.