Book length

Fri Feb 7 21:20:33 EST 2003

On Sat, 8 Feb 2003 13:12:05 +1100, Sally Odgers wrote:

>> Yeah, but the words still have to be written. It takes less time to
>> write an 80,000 word novel than a 150,000 word novel, and if you're
>> going to be paid approximately the same advance for either, the
>> temptation to indulge in wordiness is rather expensive.
>
>As the Cutting Room Queen, I have always thought I'm very stupid to
>over-write because I then have to cut. But that's the way I've always
>worked, and I can't get the hang of changing.

That doesn't sound stupid at all.  You won't know what doesn't need to be
there until you're done; wouldn't it be worse to under-write and then
discover you needed to pad something else out?

(At least, that's my justification for my own difficulty with over-writing.
I'm pretending that it isn't really logorrhea.)

Melissa Proffitt