Gatsby, Anime

M Elizabeth Parks meparks at mtholyoke.edu
Fri Feb 7 21:02:04 EST 2003

I just had to put in a word for CCS: it's so adorable, and so great, and
so happy inducing.  The second movie is available in a fansub that's
Really Bad and therefore Really Funny.  The dubbed-for-Western-tv version
is painful.

on that note, may I reccomend a site?  engrish.com has a few Really Funny
examples of Asian-style English (I picked up some while I was in japan ;)

I understand the monster of the week criticism of Sakura (and shows like
Wedding Peach and Sailor Moon); but I think that one of the great things
about anime is that it varys so much.  You can have things like Trigun,
which is funny and yet develops (usually listed in the same subgenre as
Cowboy Bebop); you can have things like Hime-chan no Ribon (classic
magical girl stuff but with a great underlying story); you can have things
like Fruits Baskets (which made me cry once because it was so sad but is
also hilariously funny); and you can have things like Fushigi Yugi (long,
involved drama full of character relationships) and they all fit in the
category of anime.  I have, of course, not even touched on a lot of
things; but I was always a comic book fan not willing to get into what
seemed an unfriendly fandom, and always a superhero junkie unfulfilled by
the simplicity of a lot of shows, and always a fan of cartoons, and so I
like anime.

There are good American cartoons, but they're few and far between--Batman
was awesome, but I never liked Batman Beyond as much.  Animaniacs was
clever, but lacked overall story.  Most of the stuff on tv makes me crave
the oppurtunity to go in, rewrite, and do it all over better.  The main
exception to this is: Gargoyles.  Imho, the very best example of american
cartoon.  If you haven't seen it, watch it; surely some of you have seen
it?

lizzie