Ian W. Riddell iwriddell at charter.net
Fri Feb 7 18:15:52 EST 2003

Hallie said:

>- The Wizard of Earthsea (not sure when I read the other books, but
>I think it was later)

Widdy hangs his head in shame. I can't believe I left this off my
list. This is up there with Harriet for me. I remember reading this
over and over again, both at home and standing in the fiction section
of our school library. One of my strongest memories of elementary
school is standing the library in 4th grade with this book in my hand
for minutes at a time adming th cover: half man/half bird. Thankfully
when I finally bought a copy of this book myself years later (you
know, once you've borrowed it from the library so many times (at
least 20) you might as well own it!) I got a copy at a used book
store with this cover.

This book is also the reason I have a small (very small) fixation on
fonts: It uses linotype Pilgrim which is, hands down, my favorite
serif font. This was the Puffin edition with a 1977 printing date.
I'm not sure if this edition was available in the US - I grew up in
Canada.

Oh dear, now my weekend reading is getting out of hand.

Is anyone else constantly torn between the desire to reread
favourites and read new books?

widdy
--
Fairy tales are not true--fairy tales are important, and they are not
true, they are more than true. Not because they tell us that dragons

Ian W. Riddell
iwriddell at charter.net