hallieod at indigo.ie hallieod at indigo.ie
Fri Feb 7 18:05:41 EST 2003

>Coming in late, but I just have to play!  But how to choose only five, even
>if I count a series as one choice?

You're not late - I haven't even begun to make final decisions on
this yet!  I like the idea of the honourable mentions though....

Elizabeth Enright, The Melendy family books.  It was lovely reading
these to Becca (and then to Cara) and finding that I still enjoyed
them as much as I had when I was reading them myself.

Rosemary Sutcliff - _The Queen Elizabeth Story_ and _The Armourer's
House_ when I was younger, and _Eagle of the Ninth_ a little later.
TQES was one of my Great Quests to find a Lost Book (this was before
I knew of Loganberry,  r.a.b.c. or the list even!), as I had no clue
that it was by Rosemary Sutcliff.

Joan Aiken - I think I had them up until _Night Birds over
Nantucket_.  Becca brought home a "scary book" from school when she
was in 1st grade, which made her a bit unhappy.  I told her that if
she wanted scary, I'd read her a really *good* scary book and read
her Wolves and she was hooked.

Mary Poppins.  These were books that are now lost to me - I tried
reading them to the girls, and went a bit multiple-personalitied - I
could remember and feel the excitement I felt reading them as a
child, and was simultaneously quite turned off by them.  Kids didn't
like them much, so we didn't bother any more.

Finn Family Moomintrolls.

Drat - that's five, and I haven't sqoozed in Winnie the Pooh, and The
Hobbit, and Swallows and Amazons, oh help!   Those are all in my top
five. :-)

So, following Dorian's excellent example:

- Narnia
- A Book of Princesses (Ed. Sally something Johnson, or SJ something)
- Mrs. Pepperpot books (again, much younger)
- The Paleface Redskins, by Jacqueline Jackson (another of my Great
Lost Book Quests - finally solved by the author herself, who is a
truly generous person).
- Anne of Green Gables and the next two
- The All-of-a-Kind Family (remembered the description of the
chickpeas from the market for years.  I was SO disappointed when I
first tasted chickpeas, expecting them to be spicy.)
- Laura Ingalls Wilder
- The Wizard of Earthsea (not sure when I read the other books, but I
think it was later)
- Harriet the Spy, me too (I have mentioned before here, though not
for some time, that my official name is Harriet.  It was too cool for
words to have a book heroine share that unusual a name!)
- Elizabeth, Hecate, etc, etc, (couldn't begin to get it right now),
and From the Mixed-Up Files...  Those were the only two E.L.
Konigsburg I discovered when I was young, though _The View from
Saturday_ has since become a favourite.
- E. Nesbit - I especially loved The Railway Children
- Noel Streatfield

That's more than enough to be going on, though I know there are more.

Hallie.