Gatsby, Anime

johanna at nobrandheroine.net johanna at nobrandheroine.net
Fri Feb 7 18:02:40 EST 2003

> i went through a brief CCS phase but i can't get into straight magical
> girl  stuff. too monster-of-the-week-ish. fancy lala bored me stiff. i
> haven't  watched P9 yet; i'm waiting for the bargain rerelease which is
> inevitable.

Yeah, I find stuff like Magic Knights Rayearth to be unbearably
monster-of-the-week, but then I heard that CLAMP did it as a parody of the
genre, so I may re-watch with that in mind. Have you heard any
confirmation of that theory?

I actually think CCS has more going on than straight monster-of-the-week
stuff, but it takes a bit to get going. And, yeah, I'll admit it, I am way
vulnerable to Sakura's cuteness & her cool costumes. o_O

Princess Nine DVDs have been selling for like $19 each--less used! That's
not bad, imho... *hint* ^_~ This is, btw, the series that got me to start
cosplaying. Heh. I don't know if I'm more impressed w/myself for sewing a
(relatively simple, it's true) costume that looked decent, or just that I
made myself actually finish it!

> yes, but the great thing about anime is that its fanbase is increasing
> in  diversity, instead of shrinking. cons are attracting a wider variety
> of  people with different interests and different aspects and levels of
> fandom.  instead of sci-fi cons and (especially) comic cons which are
> stagnating and  losing numbers, anime cons are growing every year and
> the different variety  of shows is thus increasing as well. this is why
> anime is so rich and  rewarding to be involved with as a fan. my friends
> and i who like anime  don't fit these fan stereotypes and it's great.
> the comics industry is dying  because it's all but shrunk to just people
> who wish they could be part of  it. anime has an ever-increasing
> audience.

Yeah, my friends & I who like anime don't fit the stereotypes either--else
I wouldn't be friends w/them. ^_~ The thing to me, though, is that it
seems that while the fanbase as a whole is increasing in size, it's
largely still the same old people who are on mailing lists, forming anime
clubs, & going to cons. A large part of the fanbase just watches the
anime, y'know? So if you're not interested in consuming your anime in a
vacuum, you still run overwhelmingly into the bad things. I hope that will
change in the future. I know it has to some degree--Shoujocon's existence
is evidence of that (although there's still lots of Asian fetishization
going on).

Another thing is that it seems most of anime fandom is VERY unwilling to
hear critiques of the genre--more so, certainly, than I've experienced in
sf/f fandom. Bah.

Johanna