tad williams (was Re: : fantasy monarchies)

Fri Feb 7 18:03:07 EST 2003

On Fri, 7 Feb 2003 19:33:20 +0000, hallieod at indigo.ie wrote:

>>>"Better"???  :-)
>>
>>phhhhbbbbtttt
>
>Oh puh-lease.  Do you *have* to use technical jargon like this?  ;-)

My apologies for not keeping the vocabulary down to your intellectual level.
I'll try harder next time.  (ducking and FLEEING from Hallie's wrath)

>>>Nah, I don't think that's rude.  Now DWJ, ranting about the length
>>>and awfulness of the books she had to read for whatever award thing
>>>she was judging - that was rude.  I'd have enjoyed it had I not been
>>>cringing at the possibility that someone who'd written one of the
>>>books would read her complaints and be devastated.
>>
>>Going further off topic, I think it's interesting what different people's
>>definitions of "rude" are.  I didn't particularly see that rant as rude
>>because I was imagining myself in her shoes, rather than the poor authors'.
>>And Jacob and I argue about whether bad drivers are rude or not, because he
>>focuses on the action and I focus on the intent.  Anyway.
>
>Oh, bad drivers are RUDE, IMHO.  Well, except for Tom, of course.  I
>think I'd classify rudeness as a serious disregard of other people's
>feelings, so bad drivers are generally somewhere in a continuum from
>rude to homicidal.

That's Jacob's definition, but mine narrows it to an *intentional* disregard
of others' feelings.  Hence the arguments, mine being that he can't usually
tell whether someone deliberately cut him off or was just oblivious.  I
can't remember where we started with this any more....

Melissa Proffitt