johanna at nobrandheroine.net johanna at nobrandheroine.net
Fri Feb 7 17:55:38 EST 2003

Phew, I'll give this one a go, though I'm going to cheat & not list things
in order of how much I liked them, nor just limit myself to five. What
people have been naming so far has spurred a lot of memories, so I'm not
sure I can limit myself.

Harriet the Spy--yeah! I used to keep a notebook of snide observations
because of her!

All the Noel Streatfield "shoe" books I could find (which, I think, was
only about 3 of them, sadly).

Narnia

The Hobbit

The Prydain books--I didn't come to these until I was in 6th grade,
possibly a year later, & I remember loving them but feeling that I had
discovered them a bit too late, like I was too "old" for them already. I
was in one of those phases where I wanted to be grown-up, I guess.

I used to love Pippi Longstocking & Ramona, too--but I barely remember
their contents now.

And I used to love this one collection my parents gave me called Fifty
Famous Fairy Tales. I remember it seeming like a brick to me, so large &
heavy & sturdy. A real commitment to carry around & read. I still have the
book now, & it's only about a trade paperback size (but hardback), & not
v. heavy--makes me laugh.

Johanna