Ian W. Riddell iwriddell at charter.net
Fri Feb 7 17:38:31 EST 2003

Yes. To Kill a Mockingbird is truly a Great Book. I read it first in
10th grade English (the only good thing to come out of a class taught
by an abominably bad teacher!) and have read it yearly since then.
It's also one of those situations where the movie is as good as the
book - different but just as good.

We had a very strage and secretive man living across from us all
through my childhood (he's actually still there) and I immediately
recognized Boo Radley when I read the book.

I often comment that there are not a lot of good male role models for
boys and girls - there are lots of atheletes and superheroes and
actors but we really can't look to them for moral guidance. Atticus
Finch is one of the only male heroes I have after my father. Just the
knowledge that Harper Lee could think up and write a character who
was that good without being unreal still awes me to this day.

Well, I know what I'll be doing this weeken - spending time with
Harriet and Scout and Sport and Jem!

blessings

widdy

iwriddell at charter.net