Ian W. Riddell iwriddell at charter.net
Fri Feb 7 17:33:46 EST 2003

>. The sequels left me unimpressed, but Harriet is a Great Book
>
>Absolutely, one of the best! Actually though, I have a sneaking
>affection to the inferior sequels too, especially the Long Secret.
>Partly because they remind me of a very pleasant holiday on Martha's
>Vineyard - but I also remember liking Beth Ellen and her earnest
>attempts to explain about menstruation to anyone who would listen
>(and they were few). Seem to remember that The Long Secret and Sport
>both contained melodramatically Horrible Mothers, though - rather
>crudely drawn for such an empathetic writer.
>
>While on Louise Fitzhugh, I remember seeing a film once about two
>children who hid inside the Metropolitan Museum for the weekend, and
>for some reason I have it in my head that she was involved. Anybody
>got info on that?

That was "From the Mixed up files of Mrs. Basil E. Frankweiler" by E.
L. Konigsburg. It's a good book, but even better is her "The View
from Saturday" and even better is her "Silent to the Bone." I can't
recommend those two books highly enough

widdy

--
Fairy tales are not true--fairy tales are important, and they are not
true, they are more than true. Not because they tell us that dragons

Ian W. Riddell
iwriddell at charter.net