Charles Butler hannibal at thegates.fsbusiness.co.uk
Fri Feb 7 17:12:01 EST 2003

Re: Childhood favourites (Was Oh the horror!). The sequels left me unimpressed, but Harriet is a Great Book

Absolutely, one of the best! Actually though, I have a sneaking affection to the inferior sequels too, especially the Long Secret. Partly because they remind me of a very pleasant holiday on Martha's Vineyard - but I also remember liking Beth Ellen and her earnest attempts to explain about menstruation to anyone who would listen (and they were few). Seem to remember that The Long Secret and Sport both contained melodramatically Horrible Mothers, though - rather crudely drawn for such an empathetic writer.

While on Louise Fitzhugh, I remember seeing a film once about two children who hid inside the Metropolitan Museum for the weekend, and for some reason I have it in my head that she was involved. Anybody got info on that?

Charlie