Dorian E. Gray israfel at eircom.net
Fri Feb 7 15:56:53 EST 2003

Coming in late, but I just have to play!  But how to choose only five, even
if I count a series as one choice?

Well...

Narnia.  Can't possibly leave the Narnia books out; my paperbacks were
falling apart by the time I was a teenager, I read them so much (they're in
even worse state now, but I bought myself a lovely 7-in-1 hardback with the
PBaynes illustrations - *coloured* *by* *her*!  It's gorgeous!).

DWJ.  Can't leave Our Glorious Patroness out either!  My brother brought
"Charmed Life" home from the library when I was about 9 or 10, and hooked
the entire family.  I think my favourite from that period/at that time would
probably be "Time of the Ghost".

The Chalet School series.  Entirely my mother's fault; she gave me the first
book as an antidote to all the Enid Blyton I was reading.  I think "The
Princess of the Chalet School" was my favourite for several years.

"The Old Powder Line" by Richard Parker.  A perfectly wonderful time-travel
story.

And I think the last one has to be "The Hawthorn Tree" by Patrick Little,
which I've mentioned on here before, and which I think was probably my first
Tam Lin story.

And honourable mentions go to...

The Swallows and Amazons books, especially "Winter Holiday"
All of Frances Hodgson Burnett's work
Jean Estoril's "Drina" books (ballet stories)
Lloyd Alexander's Chronicles of Prydain
Penelope Farmer's "A Castle of Bone"
Enid Blyton's vast oevre
Joan Aiken's alternate-history tales
The Katy books
Alice in Wonderland
Everything by E. Nesbit, especially "The Magic City"
Winnie the Pooh
"The Talking Parcel" by Gerald Durrell
"The Last Days of the End of the World" by Brian Stableford
and most of Noel Streatfeild's books.

Until the sky falls on our heads...

Dorian (who has probably forgotten several more that should have been
listed).
--
Dorian E. Gray
israfel at eircom.net