McGraw

JOdel at aol.com JOdel at aol.com
Fri Feb 7 15:24:00 EST 2003

<< Eloise Jarvis McGraw, who recently died at a very respectable age.  She
also wrote 'Mara, Daughter of the Nile', 'The Moorchild',and a buncha other
good stuff. >>

Including, with her daughter, Merry-Go-Round in Oz, 1963. The last of the
"official" Reilly & Lee Oz books and probably the one with the best
story/writing from any objective, literary standpoint. Was recently reprinted
by Books of Wonder/Emerald City Press in one of their facsimile editions.

The only flaw I could ever find with it was that it came out 20+ years too
late to be illustrated by Neill. The illustrator whose work was used, Dick
Martin, did a truly charming job, but the style is wildly in opposition to
Neil's Art Nouveau sensibilities so it's a considerable jolt.

(Another almost exact example of the kind of thing I'm talking about would be
to compare the three Mrs Piggle-Wiggle's with the Knight illos to the one
with the Sendak.)