Racism (was Re: Hugh Lofting)

Gili Bar-Hillel abhillel at hotmail.com
Fri Feb 7 15:07:43 EST 2003

Rosie wrote:
>can someone remind me of the racist parts of Dr Dolittle?
>I haven't read all the books, and none of them for a while, but those
>elements can't have made much of an impression on me

They you're in for a shock if you do reread them. They are rife with racist
views and racist expressions. I loved them as a child, and never noticed
these. But reading them through older eyes, I kept saying to myself, "this
is rather offensive. Was it always there?"
The only example I can think of offhand, other than the one already
mentioned from the first book with the black prince who wants to dye his
face white in the hopes that this will advance him in the world (but of
course, we all know that underneath the white he is still lazy, cruel and
stupid), is from "Doctor Dolittle's Post Office", where Dolittle has a very
difficult time setting up his postal service because the stupid natives love
the sweet taste of the glue on the stamps and buy them just to lick them.

There are some very racist Israeli children's books, in particular what was
once a popular series about "Danny Din the Invisible Boy" in which the bad
guy is always an evil, greasy and stupid Arab. There have been many cries to
ban these books, and during annual book week there is always someone walking
around dispersing flyers about their evils. I find the assumptions implicit
in these books deeply offensive, and I would not buy them for my child or
encourage him to read them. But neither do I condone banning or censoring
books. A very good friend of mine LOVED these books when she was little,
read and reread them all, and grew up to be one of the most pro-Arab
Israelis imagineable. I think a solid upbringing far outweighs the influence
of any book a child can read, and parents wishing to bring their children up
with certain beliefs should invest more in the examples they set and in
encouraging positive values, than in hiding away evidence that other people
have different values. In my opinion, if these books are out there and kids
are reading them, and your kids want to read them too, it is better to arm
your children with the sensibilities to identify racism and with the
arguments to counter it, than to attempt to keep them from reading the books
- which simultaneously enhances their mystique, and leaves your children
naive and defenceless against racist manipulation. This of course means that
parents need to be aware of what their children are being exposed too, but
I'm all for that.

Gili Bar-Hillel
Tel-Aviv, tel.(03)5250014

www.picturetrail.com/gilibug