Eloise Jarvis McGraw (was: Childhood favourites)

Gili Bar-Hillel abhillel at hotmail.com
Fri Feb 7 14:04:35 EST 2003

Eloise Jarvis McGraw is one of the last "official" Oz authors, too. Her
"Moorchild" won the Newberry award, FWIW. I started reading it when I was in
hospital after having Roi, and thought it pretty good, but never got around
to finishing it - either because I was reading the Hebrew translation and I
just don't read translated books as happily, or because the whole hospital
experience was so miserable.

"The Moorchild" is about an elfin changeling trying to grow up among humans.
I recently read another book with similar themes that I thought worth
recommending here, "Cold Tom" by Sally Prue. I'm not sure it's widely
available yet, I read a review copy. It's a rather short book, and each
chapter is only about two or three pages long - almost like a series of
scenes that join to tell a story, rather than an ongoing narrative. The
perspective is rather interesting, and the take on what it is like to be
non-human. I rather think Tacroy, coming from series 11, might have felt
like this upon first entering the human world (unless he was a baby at the
time? I don't remember...) And the Tam Lin ballad figures importantly into
the story as well.

Gili Bar-Hillel
Tel-Aviv, tel.(03)5250014

www.picturetrail.com/gilibug