Modesitt (was Re: Book length (was Re: tad williams))

Fri Feb 7 12:54:14 EST 2003

On Fri, 7 Feb 2003 17:28:28 -0000 , Rowland, Jennifer A B wrote:

>Melissa wrote:
>>  Off the top of my head, though, all the
>> megaseries I can think of are written by men:
>>
>> David Eddings
>> Robert Jordan
>> L.E. Modesitt
>> George R.R. Martin
>> Tad Williams
>
>I think it depends on what you mean by megaseries- are Katherine Kurtz's
>Derinyi books one by now?

A megaseries (to coin a word) would be any multi-volume work whose
individual volumes are like chapters in a really big book.  You can read
them independently, but they have less meaning than when they're taken in
the context of the entire work.

Technically Modesitt's Recluce series isn't a megaseries; it's just really
really long.  Ditto Shannara or the Deryni books or Pern.  Ray Feist...I'm
not sure; it's been too long since I read them.  Katherine Kerr is a
megaseries, but more loosely connected; the individual volumes have their
own resolution, but every book is working toward an ultimate conclusion.
Same with Jennifer Roberson's Cheysuli books, I think.  But Brust's Taltos
novels (9 volumes) and Bujold's Vorkosigan series (12 plus peripherals) are
not megaseries, even though there is character progression and the universe
changes.

This definition is all open for debate, of course; I'm just making it all up
as I go along.  It just strikes me as odd, the proportion of men, because
these types of series are so heavily pushed that male authors seem
disproportionately represented in fantasy.  I've noticed before that while
many of the authors I like best are female, the most successful and
well-known ones are mostly male.  I don't know why that is or if it even
means anything; it was just curious.

Melissa Proffitt