more than 500 pages? (intensely off-topic)

Margaret Ball margaret at onr.com
Fri Feb 7 12:29:08 EST 2003

> There's
> even maths to skip <insouciant grin>.

One of the things I like about Cryptonomicon is that it's one of the
very few novels I've read that portrays how mathematicians really
think... most writers who attempt this give the sense that they did
their research painstakingly but don't have any true feeling for the
subject, so it all feels a little "off."  It was a real pleasure,
reading Cryptonomicon, to feel "oh yes, that's how it feels when you're
groping your way through that kind of problem."

Actually I enjoy Stephenson's writing so much that I don't care if the
plot gets tangled up in its own devices and crashes, because there's
something surprising and fun on almost any page.

--
Margaret Ball
http://www.flameweaver.com