tad williams (was Re: : fantasy monarchies)

Fri Feb 7 12:12:26 EST 2003

On Fri, 7 Feb 2003 10:48:48 +0000, hallieod at indigo.ie wrote:

>Melissa in reply to Christian:

>>>i believe (and i may be wrong) that there's no good reason for a book to be
>>>more than around 500 pages.
>>
>>which, while still carrying the caveat that you could be wrong, represents a
>>statement of universality.  The second part of this paragraph is better
>>because, again, it's about your opinion:
>
>"Better"???  :-)

phhhhbbbbtttt

Besides, I already established the parameters of "good" and "better" in
terms of this discussion.  So there.  ;)

>>When you're asserting that books shouldn't be more than 500 pages, or that
>>brevity is always better, you're being rude to people who prefer long books
>>by effectively calling their favorite books bad.
>
>Nah, I don't think that's rude.  Now DWJ, ranting about the length
>and awfulness of the books she had to read for whatever award thing
>she was judging - that was rude.  I'd have enjoyed it had I not been
>cringing at the possibility that someone who'd written one of the
>books would read her complaints and be devastated.

Going further off topic, I think it's interesting what different people's
definitions of "rude" are.  I didn't particularly see that rant as rude
because I was imagining myself in her shoes, rather than the poor authors'.
And Jacob and I argue about whether bad drivers are rude or not, because he
focuses on the action and I focus on the intent.  Anyway.

>Just to draw some of the fire from Christian (possibly, or else no
>one will give a fig), I recently read _Lirael_ and was very
>disappointed in it, after _Sabriel_.  One of my reasons was that I
>felt it desperately needed a good cutting, and would have been much
>better a couple of hundred pages shorter.  It wasn't my only problem
>with the book, mind you, but I still think would have annoyed me even
>without the others.

Oh, I'm sorry you were disappointed.  I always feel worse about an
unenjoyable sequel if I really liked the first book.  I do like _Lirael_ and
I am TRYING to read through it a second time before starting on _Abhorsen_,
which I have had for a month now.  It seemed that after a dry period of
nothing to read, I suddenly had a huge stack that I absolutely *had* to
read.  The last thing I read was _The Dollmage_, a book for the award thing
that I mentioned here was very hard to find.  I did break down and buy it,
and it was wonderful, but I'll have to talk about it separately.

Melissa Proffitt
If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to be a horrible warning.