Modesitt (was Re: Book length (was Re: tad williams))

Fri Feb 7 11:59:26 EST 2003

On Fri, 7 Feb 2003 22:10:01 +1100, Kathryn Andersen wrote:

>Heh.  I read the first "Recluse" book and got really annoyed at her
>metaphysics (that is, the whole Chaos versus Order thing) that I never
>read another one.  Then I read the first book in the Spellsong Cycle and
>the thing that I took away with me was that she managed to take the
>beauty out of both magic *and* music -- kind of the opposite to the way
>magic + music was treated in Cart & Cwidder (yes -- ObDWJ!)

The author is a man.  Either his first name is Lee or he's called that
because of his initials.  I don't know if that means anything.  I was
surprised to find that out, myself.  (He lives in Utah and comes to the BYU
SF symposium occasionally.)  Off the top of my head, though, all the
megaseries I can think of are written by men:

David Eddings
Robert Jordan
L.E. Modesitt
George R.R. Martin
Tad Williams

And since I included Martin and Williams there, I'm not suggesting that
megaseries is a derogatory term.  Any other names?  I don't read enough of
them to know.

Melissa Proffitt
If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to be a horrible warning.