Book length (was Re: tad williams)

Fri Feb 7 11:54:12 EST 2003

On Fri, 7 Feb 2003 22:10:01 +1100, Kathryn Andersen wrote:

>> What's more, I'm even prepared to defend the length of epic fantasy series
>> (which I don't even read).  My theory is that the people who love those
>> books enjoy the total immersion in another world, and the longer that
>> immersion goes on, the happier they are.
>
>I don't agree that the length thing of epic fantasy *novels* is about
>(or soley about) immersion, because you can still have a good immersion
>experience if you have a long fantasy series which consists of a lot of
>shorter books.

Of course, but I didn't say that you can only be fully immersed in a long
book.  I said that for those fans I think the length is how they get
immersed in it.  Another way of saying it might be that for certain readers,
any book that *isn't* 500 pages is too *short*.

Melissa Proffitt
If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to be a horrible warning.