Racism (was Re: Hugh Lofting)

Jon Noble jon_p_noble at yahoo.com
Thu Feb 6 23:51:59 EST 2003

--- Margaret Ball <margaret at onr.com> wrote:

> She won't read fantasy.
>
> I think she's a changeling.

I'm sure you have the sympathy of everyone on the
list. We brought our two (now 23 and 21) proper. At
the first sign of not liking fantasy they'd have been
off to the workhouse (as an aside I learnt recently
that my grandfather whom I never really knew - he died
when I was very young- actually ran away from the
workhouse and apprenticed himself to a cook when he
was 12 - this would have been in the 1880s in London.
Its a bit fightening to realise how few generations
seperate us from the world of Dickens)
Its great having three other fantasy buffs in the
family - especially when they are mature enough to
have developed their own tastes and have the income to
indulge them - although this means that we still have
to feed them.

Jon