Racism (was Re: Hugh Lofting)

Sally Odgers sodgers at tassie.net.au
Thu Feb 6 23:23:00 EST 2003

> Well, *I* loved it so CLEARLY it's a great book!!!  It made me cry!!!!

> Honestly, I don't remember that I loved _Gatsby_, but it made an
impression
> on me...something about the world and the descriptions.  Usually I give
> "great" books two chances before I brush them aside completely.  _Treasure
> Island_ struck out a long time ago.  _Wuthering Heights_ only got one
> chance.

I loathed the book for the sickly decadent atmosphere, because I disliked
all the characters and, above all, for the style. In almost every case
Fitzgerald chose the synonym I would be *least*  likely to use, and he
seemed to choose for general nastiness.

I'm not saying it's a poor book. I'm saying I have a great distaste for it.
I'm also not saying my choice of synonym is *right*, just that someone with
*such* different reactions to words is too far from my ken for us to be
"friends".  DWJ's choices almost always agree with mine, BTW - I wonder if
that's what ultimately draws me to a writer's style?

Sallyo.