Racism (was Re: Hugh Lofting)

Thu Feb 6 23:02:40 EST 2003

On Thu, 06 Feb 2003 21:45:53 -0600, Margaret Ball wrote:

>>I had to wade through The Great Gatsby to help my daughter -
>>Errrr-yuck.)
>>
>I feel the same way about it, but my 16 yo says it's a great book and I
>obviously didn't understand it and should read it again.

Well, *I* loved it so CLEARLY it's a great book!!!  It made me cry!!!!

Sorry.  I'm overreacting and should probably lie down or something.  You
know what they say about multiple exclamation points and a disordered
mind....

Honestly, I don't remember that I loved _Gatsby_, but it made an impression
on me...something about the world and the descriptions.  Usually I give
"great" books two chances before I brush them aside completely.  _Treasure
Island_ struck out a long time ago.  _Wuthering Heights_ only got one
chance.

>She won't read fantasy.
>
>I think she's a changeling.

My oldest daughter, who's almost nine, confided in me the other day that "I
don't think there's ever been another girl my age who loved fantasy as much
as I do."   Heeheehee.

Melissa Proffitt