Racism (was Re: Hugh Lofting)

Sally Odgers sodgers at tassie.net.au
Thu Feb 6 22:09:05 EST 2003

> Alterering that is the same thing as altering the
> Bible.

which is done all the time whenever the English is modernised... and I
assume was also done when the thing was translated in the first place. I
have a great affection for the King James version; it has a lovely rhythm
that is lost in the NEL edition. IMO, of course. KJ reads aloud
*beautifully*.

Sallyo (who had to study Huck Finn and loathed it almost as much as she
loathed Captains Courageous and all the other gruesome things dished up by
1970s Eng. Lit. No - wait. I liked Macbeth and enjoyed Horses of the
Carmargue... 2 items. A sad harvest for 4 years...)

I'm not sure if Eng Lit actually put me off a great many genres or if I'd
have disliked them anyway. Maybe what got dished up just *happened* to
consist of genres and styles I would never read by choice.  And they're
still at it. I had to wade through The Great Gatsby to help my daughter -
Errrr-yuck.)

A book like that must be judged warts and all.