Fat and lit

Sally Odgers sodgers at tassie.net.au
Thu Feb 6 21:32:13 EST 2003

Re: Fat and lit>You mean the title of _Fanny Hill_ wasn't just her name, but....ohmygosh. I knew it was a feelthy >novel, but that little double-entendre completely escaped me.

Maybe that's where the feelthy meaning came from? I remember being V. puzzled when Ken (in THUNDERHEAD) slapped Flicka "on the fanny". As for wearing a fanny-pack (what we call a bum-bag) - the mind truly boggles.

Sallyo

  I don't think it had that meaning that early, though.  Funnily enough, I gave my mother a (huge) dictionary of slang for Christmas, and we spent some time reading the entries on this very word!  Dunno about F. Burney being called Frances nowadays, OU lit courses refer to her still as Fanny Burney.

  Hallie (who despite living in Ireland for well over 25 years in total, only learned of the UK meaning of this word on this very list a year or two ago!)