Hugh Lofting

Thu Feb 6 13:12:22 EST 2003

On Thu, 6 Feb 2003 15:05:59 +0000 (GMT), Tanaqui wrote:

>Why has everyone so far written about Doolittle? It's Dolittle.
>
>The first book is available online at
>http://www.PageByPageBooks.com/Hugh_Lofting/The_Story_of_Doctor_Dolittle/Introduction_p1.html
>
>I haven't seen any of the controversial novels in etext, nor have I actually
>seen the editions where e.g. the Doctor's preferred word for black Africans
>is altered, and his turning Bumpo (temporarily) white in order to escape from
>these ignorant savages is excised. I own an original version of that one. I
>am very strongly against altering books to fit later sensibilities.

Tanaqui!! Where have you been!

I TOTALLY agree with you about altering books for modern readers.  For one
thing, the originals reveal a lot about the sensibilities of that day that
are valuable parts of the historical record.  And if we readers can't tell
the difference between modern racism and entrenched historical social mores,
well, shame on us.  I've been buying reprints of the original Nancy Drew
books for that reason.  (Not many of them.  They're expensive.  But the
prefaces are worth it.)

Melissa Proffitt