Kathryn Andersen kat_lists at katspace.com
Thu Feb 6 08:09:13 EST 2003

On Thu, Feb 06, 2003 at 10:44:37AM +0000, Gili Bar-Hillel wrote:
> Kathryn wrote:
>
> >I definitely have to agree about the beautiful illustrations in the
> >Andrew Lang Fairy Books.  I am jealous of my sister because she's the
> >one that has our copies; and I am So Annoyed that the current reprints
> >have eliminated all the colour plates!  Oh, they're there, but they're
> >in greyscale, not colour.  8-(
>
> Funny, I have color plates in several of my Dover editions (though not
> all). Does this mean they are earlier reprints? Hmm...
> And yes, they are stunning. Very pre-Rephaelite, IMHO.

Well, I don't think they're earlier, I think they're later.  I bought
them all within the past few years (every now and then I go to Amazon
and order another one).  To take The Violet Fairy Book as a random
example, it has a note in it that says:

"This Dover edition, first published in 1966, is an unabridged
reproduction of the work originally published by Longmans, Green & Co.,
London, in 1901.  Those illustrations that appeared in color in the
original edition are here reproduced in black and white."

> I'm printing out your list of favorites, as I agree about the books I know
> from it...

Of course, it may be more sentiment than sense; I don't remember all of
them.

One omission, which puzzles me -- it was a book I actually looked for on
my shelves and couldn't find it.  "The Golden Goblet" by (someone)
McGraw (I think).  A historical set in Egypt with a boy as protagonist.

Kathryn Andersen
"(whack, whack) What is going on here?
	(thunk, whoosh) I'm sorry!
	(whack, thunk) I'm so sorry!
	(thwack, crash, crunch) Oh my god...
	(thunk) oh. "
		-- Nick Parker, beating up bad guys in "Blind Fury"