Cliche fantasy was RE: tad williams

Rowland, Jennifer A B jennifer.rowland at imperial.ac.uk
Thu Feb 6 07:04:25 EST 2003

christian wrote:
> well, i'm aware. i am saying that i got bored of the
> "fantasy" section of the book store, i guess. stopped being
> able to be interested in these quest fantasy novels with their
> cliches. that's all.

By a coincidence I was going to mention an author I just ran across on
infinityplus yesterday, John Grant, (who is a pen name for Paul Barnett,
editor of the Encyclopaedia of Fantasy.)
http://www.iplus.zetnet.co.uk/stories/farenough.htm is the first chapter of
his book The Far-Enough Window, which I liked. I'm thinking of looking for
some of his books, and and was going to ask if anybody else here had read
any of his stuff.

Also on there, though, was some of his non-fiction writing, about the issue
that Christian mentions- the amount of stuff in the fantasy sections of
bookshops that hes nothing fantastic about it.
http://www.iplus.zetnet.co.uk/nonfiction/gulliver.htm.

(It was because DWJ was helping on the Encyclopaedia that she was inspired
to write the Tough Guide, so this is nearly on-topic!)

Jennifer