Kathryn Andersen kat_lists at katspace.com
Wed Feb 5 19:23:09 EST 2003

I definitely have to agree about the beautiful illustrations in the
Andrew Lang Fairy Books.  I am jealous of my sister because she's the
one that has our copies; and I am So Annoyed that the current reprints
have eliminated all the colour plates!  Oh, they're there, but they're
in greyscale, not colour.  8-(

Other childhood favourites: already mentioned Narnia, Middle-Earth (The
Hobbit) -- both of which my father read to us before I could actually
read (I am the youngest) -- and Pooh.

There are some childhood books I still have my somewhat battered copies
of, and considering how much we moved around and therefore had to
discard all but the most essential, they must have been favourites:
- "The Saturdays" by Elizabeth Enright (I didn't discover until much
  later that there were sequels to this)
- "Eight Cousins" by Louisa May Alcott (likewise, I didn't discover Rose
  In Bloom until a few years ago)
- "Watership Down" by Richard Adams
- "The Princess and the Goblin" and "The Princess and Curdie" by George
  MacDonald
- "The Silver Sword" by Ian Serraillier
- "The Eagle of the Ninth" and "Warrior Scarlet" by Rosemary Sutcliff
- "Knight Crusader" by Ronald Welch
- "Attar of the Ice Valley" by Leonard Wibberley (written long before
  Jean Auel made prehistoric fiction popular)
- "The Enormous Egg" by Oliver Butterworth
- "The School Library Mystery" by Agnes Furlong
- "The Moon in the Cloud" by Rosemary Harris (and the other two in the
  trilogy)
- "Just So Stories" by Rudyard Kipling (oddly enough, I've never read
  The Jungle Book)
- "Kim Walk-In-My-Shoes" by Olive Price
- "Freckles" by Gene Stratton-Porter
- "The Sword in the Stone" by T.H. White
- "Misty of Chincoteague" by Marguritte Henry (the obligatory horse book)
- "The Muddle-headed Wombat" by Ruth Park
- "Richard Scarry's ABC Word Book" (a really fun picture book, very
  busy)
- "A Bunch of Wild Flowers" by Ida Rentoul Outhwaite (which I find, to
  my astonishment, *belonged to my mother* when she was in "Form VII A"
  in 1941.  Wow.)  (lovely, lovely pictures -- flower fairies.)

As you can see, it's mostly a mix of fantasy and historical.
Some childhood favourites I read in the library and didn't actually own
until much later -- including all my DWJs.  And my Engdahls, and "The
500 Hats of Bartholemew Cubbins" (my favourite Dr. Suess).

I do agree that the lovely illustrations of the Oz books are part of
what made them great, but I was content to let my sister keep our copies
of those... 8-)

Kathryn Andersen