Jon Noble jon_p_noble at yahoo.com
Wed Feb 5 18:57:37 EST 2003

--- Kathryn Andersen <kat_lists at katspace.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 05, 2003 at 02:38:54AM -0800, Jon Noble
> wrote:

> sure
> > > even
> this
> > > one
> > >
> > > My dear Jon - I *wrote* it!  (that is, I wrote
> some
> > > original stories for G-P
> > > using May Gibbs' characters under licence. I
> will
> > > not comment further on a
> > > public forum, except to assure you it was all
> legal
> > > and above-board.)
> >
> > I do love those books, many generations of
> Australian
> > kids (and many others who weren't born here, but
> like
> > me grew up here) have grown up with the gumnut
> babies.
> > I'm sure they shaped our national psyche.
>
> So that's why I'm so odd?  I haven't read
> "Snugglepot and Cuddlepie"?
> Mind you, I *have* read "The Magic Pudding", so I'm
> not completely lost.
> Of course, I have to blame my parents.
How about "Blinky Bill" or "the Muddle headed wombat?"
(two other childhood faves I didn't mention)?
I never really liked "The magic pudding" despite
growing up quite close to where Norman Lindsay lived.
When we kids used to rampage through the bush we would
often emerge not far from his house. I only watched
the movie "Sirens" to see what they imagined
Springwood looked like in the 1920s - it had nothing
to do with seeing Elle Macpherson nude. Actually their
version of Springwood had little to do with reality -
the only thing in common was Honeysett's store - a
shop that I fondly remember from my own childhood, and
which is still there.

Jon