Friendship and Fat and lit

Kathryn Andersen kat_lists at katspace.com
Wed Feb 5 18:20:13 EST 2003

On Wed, Feb 05, 2003 at 02:51:33PM -0000, Rowland, Jennifer A B wrote:

> Jennifer wrote:
> > >Um. Mahy's Catalog(ue) Of The Universe has Angela and Tycho
> > as friends, the
> > >plot is around her finding her father but their friendship
> > is important in
> > >it. It's surprising how difficult this is- I suppose heroes are often
> > >loners, and either are away from friends and family, or too
> > busy Saving the
> > >World to bother, or they fall in love.
>
> Hallie wrote:
> > But the falling in love doesn't disqualify the friendship, does it?
> > Can't, given the example you chose.
>
> I don't think it does, (I was friends with my SO long before we went out!)
> but most of the books I can think of where people fall in love, they aren't
> friends beforehand.

Well, in many of the romances that I actually do enjoy, they *are*.
For example, I just finished reading -- at the reccommendation of you
folk -- "Summers at Castle Auburn", and there, the romance definitely
started with friendship.  And there's a fair few of my favourite Heyers
that do that too -- along the lines of, this person is my friend, and
then the realization that comes later that they actually love them
romantically as well (often along the lines of "I don't want to spend
the rest of my life without this person by my side").  And I like those
kind of romances.

But friendship-without-romance stories are much much rarer.

Kathryn Andersen